Friday, July 10, 2009

Green Lantern Stel of Sector 3009, Honnu, and Sinestro Corps Amon Sur

So, I know I'm a little late to the party ..... the party of people showing off their Custom Contest figures, from Fwoosh's 1st Customs Contest. But, life keeps me busy, well, busy enough to keep me away from taking pictures that I could post here right away.......so, I finally got around to picture taking last night, and here are they are, one of my favorite Corps members:

Stel

This bad@ss 'bot from Sector 3009 probably wouldn't be made anytime soon, but after seeing his possessed teammate throw him to the anti-matter wolves, and to see him re-appear later on to defend his good old buddy Mogo, I knew he HAD to be made by me.



(Here he is with Brainiac from DCD)


(and here he is with a couple fellow GL's)



He kinda made himself from the fodder I had recently acquired. I came across some Cyber Units (McF's) and knew they'd come in handy somewhere in time. I used parts from 4 different figs. I cut the upper torso of one in half, melded it to a transforming part I ripped out of the Brute one. Some kneadtite to fill the gaps, and some detailed wiring pieces to cover seams later, the upper half was done.

I lucked out with some of the most posable stuff McF has put out as the fodder. The ab-crunch joint got inserted into the dremeled out inner of the upper half , and the crotch area I dremeled out some to recess the joint into there. I did all I could to cut down on his height - he started out much taller. I even had to ditch the more poseable neck joint I had.

I sculpted a chest piece to paint a GL symbol onto, but I noticed soon after that I had a GL ring kicking around. I spread some kneadatite onto a piece of plastic cardback, oiled up the ring, and pressed it into it - and whallah - GL symbol! It's a tad large, but works for my original take on Stel.

I had a lot of fun getting lost in the painting of this guy. SOOOO much sculpted detail begging to be brough out! I used a base of Tamiya silver, and drybrushed a bunch of gunmetal over areas. I went back and painted some individual wires white, others got a bit of clear green to give them a shiny look.

Now this is where I had the most fun: the accessories!



I happened to have an inter-changeable gun arm from one of the McF's CU's, and it looked pretty darn close to what Stel had to create for himself when he was missing half his body, and had to defend Mogo from the Sinestro Corps. He also had constructs that resembled targeting optics, (IIRC).

Well, this fodder would have it that I had a few places to place these construct wires!

Oh yeah, did I mention this was my first scratch head sculpt? I used a cap for a spray bottle to form the bucket-head, and sculpted on the face plate. I wanted to go as detailed as the ML10 Sentinel - but I kept it simple, so simple I did not bother to add the disc-ears. (here are a few WIP's):



I know one arm, err, rather, one hand is longer/larger than the other, but felt a robot was allowed to be tall and un-evenly lanky if he was constantly fighting evil across the universe, and having to re-build himself.

Oh yeah, those target thingies? Cut right from the package of DCUC8 Vigilante!

So, yeah, late to the party, but I hope y'all like him. Here are pictures of a few quickie - customs: Honnu of the Green Lanterns & Amon Sur of the Sinestro Corps. Honnu was just a re-paint of the Fantasic Four Movie Thing. I used some kneadatite to imprint the ring shape from a DCD Kilowog's ring, cut & painted it - whallah! - a ring for Honnu. I know he could use some paint touch up, and a symbol on his belt, but I'll go back to it at a later time.



Amon Sur was a simple headswap and paint. I used a ML8 Iceman head, opened up the socket a little, popped it onto the DCUC3 Sinestro body and painted it with Warlock purple from Citadel.

No comments: