Thursday, February 18, 2010

My Colbert Report Report aka Experience - 18 Feb 2010

Wow - where to start? Well, how about.......

Thursday, Feb 11th - I heard via The Colbert Report, that he'd be appearing in Vancouver for 2 days to film segments for his show. The monment I heard that, the ever unexpected spark of inspiration sprang to life within me: I had to make his visit to Vancouver a memorable one, marked with a one-of-a-kind gift from a local artist, (ME)>

I could not however start on my project until the weekend was through......due to celebrations for Valentine's Day, and a 5 year anniversary with my girlfriend. So, first thing Monday, I began cobbling together my (hopeful,) contribution to the Colbert Mantle.....(his shelf of gifts & achievements).

Some of the sh!tty stuff that made this a more difficult task to complete: My main weapon in my custom creating arsenal - my dremel, broke to some degree, making bit changing a difficult task. Secondly, my camera crapped out on me, leaving me without the opportunity to photograph my WIP, as well as my finished product.

I was originally aiming to be done and down @ False Creek for Wednesday the 17th, but the perfectionist in me had me pining over details of 'completed-ness' until 2:30pm.

So, everything ready, I set our this morning (18th Feb 2010) with goods in bag to give to Mr. Stephen Colbert. I gained a lot of interest from photographers around me, as well as a short interview with a local cable reporter (from Shaw.) For some of those taking pictures, they said they would email me pics of me and my present later on, (fingers crossed.) Sadly, these are all I have for now, (I have some phone pics, but not how to get them off my phone!) *EDIT/UPDATE* Got pics off my cellphone of the almost 100% done figures a few touches were still not pictured (Gloves and shins painted light blue, sculpted arrow tips added and painted on the 3 sewing needles extruding from the left hand,arrow tips painted metallic red-silver-blue, arrow shafts painted metallic gold, nose painted metallic gold.)

WIP's (Work in progress pics) Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Better more complete Pics: Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

What I created:

- Stephen Colbert action figure in suit with removable, magnetic head

- Costumed alter ego whom I dubbed StealthEagle with removable magnetic head

Accessories included were:

- Desk with chair

- Mini Colbert Report and Pearsonic posters

- Removable Ameri-eagle (like the one from his intro)

- Olympic torch

- American flag

- Captain America shield

- The Colbert mount aka Ameri-griffen

- The sword of Colbert

I managed to get down to the venue before he arrived. I was lucky enough to be standing right were his car would pull up and let him out.

Upon his appearance: NOTHING! Walked right by me, no nothing.

I decided to hang out there for the duration of his filming,to see if upon his departure, I'd have better luck. He signed a good number of autographs upon his exit, but I didn't even get a direct look from him, or a comment on my action figure gift to him!

I did manage to finally talk with a rep from the show, (Regan B. - you're my lady of luck! - ) whom after having a moment to take in and digest the gift I had for Colbert, (she seemed fairly impressed,) said she could put it into the hands of the producers of the show, whom would get it to Mr. Colbert.

So, here's to hoping my 3 days of intense work gets to where I intended it to go to: The hands of Stephen Colbert, and onto his shelf to hang out with his various awards, and his Captain America shield.

No comments: