Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Venom - Hockey Mask

Now, it may not be a figure, but it's still some comic coolness, on one of the best pallets for any artist - A HOCKEY MASK!



A friend of mine asked me to do a favour for him, and pretty up his goalie mask for ball hockey aka floor hockey. I must admit, this thing was a pretty big piece of crap - screws rusted on, parts of the cage rusting.

Regardless, I sanded this puppy down, before I laid down the grey primer.


I sketched out my designs on paper prior to free-handing them onto the mask.



Once on the mask, all white areas where painted with a paint pen - all red and pink areas where painted on with a brush. Lots of finer black detail was done with a black paint pen.

The majority of colour was sprayed on with a can of TS-40 Tamiya Metallic Black.

It took some time to wrap my head around how the 'flow' of the tongue should look/come out, and I'm quite pleased with it.

I thought the muscle/tendons of the jaw would help the open mouth 'pop' more.

I altered my orignal design for the backing plate while free-handing it onto the grey primer - the flow of the legs didn't look right to me - so this is how it ended up looking:



I was really happy with how the neck guard turned out. After sanding it down, the clear plastic appeared frosted, which I thought would look awesome for the inside of the mouth/open, articulated jaw.

I felt this wouldn't be complete without a few pics with the bad@ss himself:
..... here's the happy customer, geared-up, ready for war:
And, last but not least, a few pics with it being appropreately rocked:

No comments: